Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 3 cups sparkling water or club soda
- Combine the sugar, water, blueberries and lemon zest in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and then simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved and the blueberries are starting to burst.
- Remove from the heat and pass through a fine sieve.
- Let this blueberry syrup completely cool.
- In a large blender, add the blueberry syrup, lemon juice and ice. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the sparkling water or club soda.
- 4 to 5 cups of seedless watermelon, cut into chunks
- ½ peeled cucumber, cut into chunks
- 8 mint leaves roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Place all the ingredients in a blender, and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl, pressing the solids with a spoon to get all the liquid out.
- Place the watermelon mixture back in your blender and add the ice cubes.
- Depending on how slushy you want it, add your ice cubes accordingly.
Shrimp Cocktail Salad
- 4 large tomatoes
- ½ a lettuce, chopped
- ¼ cup thousand island sauce (mix together mayonnaise and ketchup)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 stalk celery
- ½ kilogram cooked, shelled and deveined jumbo shrimp
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or sunflower oil
- Holding 1 tomato slice over a sieve, scoop seeds into the sieve. Repeat with remaining slices. Press seeds in the sieve to extract as much juice as possible, and then discard the seeds.
- Divide tomato slices among 4 serving plates.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk in a bowl the tomato juice, thousand island sauce, brown sugar, oil, lemon juice, hot sauce and a pinch of salt and pepper until sugar dissolves.
- To serve, arrange the lettuce, celery slices then shrimp over sliced tomatoes.
- Stir dressing to blend, then drizzle all over shrimp, celery and tomatoes.
- Garnish with celery leaves.
Sour Cream and Dill Potato Salad
- ½ kilogram potatoes, peeled
- ½ cup diced cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1½ tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place a saucepan filled two-thirds with water over a high heat.
- Cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Add potatoes to pan, and then cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook 5 minutes or until tender and then drain.
- Combine cucumber, sour cream, yogurt, dill, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add drained potatoes to the cucumber mixture, and toss gently to coat.
Vegetarian Summer Pasta
- ¼ kilogram uncooked linguine
- ¼ kilogram zucchini
- ½ kilogram tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¾ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs, toasted
- 8 small basil leaves
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.
- While the pasta cooks, shave zucchini into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler; place in a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes, onions, olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper and sugar to a bowl; toss to combine. Let it stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to coat.
- Add pasta to vegetables, tossing gently to combine. Top with breadcrumbs, basil and cheese.
- 8 thick slices of rustic Italian bread
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 eggplants, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Basil, for garnish
- Heat grill to medium.
- Grill rustic Italian bread 5 minutes, or until well toasted, turning once.
- Transfer to a large platter, then rub the bread lightly with garlic, and then drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Toss eggplants with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Grill for 5 minutes, then turn slices over and top with mozzarella, and grill for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Top bread with tomatoes and salt and layer with eggplant.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan. Garnish with basil.
- 3 cups water
- 3½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 peaches
- 1 large tub of vanilla ice
- 3 cups raspberries
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Put the water, sugar, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and vanilla into a saucepan and heat gently to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to a boil and leave it for about 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Cut the peaches in half and remove the seeds, then poach them in the sugar syrup for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side until soft, then remove.
- Peel off their skins and let them cool.
- To make the raspberry sauce, liquidize the raspberries, powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a blender.
- Sieve to remove the pits and pour the puree into a jug.
- To assemble, allow 2 peach halves per person and sit them on each plate alongside a scoop of ice cream.
- Spoon the raspberry sauce over each.
Warm Berries with Honey and Yogurt
- 1 cup blueberries, divided
- 1 cup raspberries, divided
- 1 cup blackberries, divided
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 4 large basil leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups Greek yogurt or whipped cream
- 6 small basil sprigs
- Combine half of the berries and honey in a small saucepan over low heat and cook for 8 minutes or until slightly warmed, gently stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and then stir in basil leaves.
- Combine vanilla and yogurt (or cream) in a small bowl, stirring well until thick.
- Spoon about ¼ cup of the yogurt mixture into 6 glasses or small bowls.
- Top each serving with about ¼ cup warm berry mixture, then with ¼ cup of he remaining fresh berries and a basil sprig.