Stuffed French Toast
- Toast slices
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 500 grams cream cheese
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries or raspberries
- Whipped cream
- In a medium sized bowl, slightly beat eggs then add the orange juice, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- For the filling, beat together softened cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl until well blended, then add the chopped berries and mix.
- Heat a non-stick pan and add enough oil to coat the bottom. Dip slices of toast into the egg dip and fry on both sides until slightly browned.
- Place one slice on a plate then add around 2 tablespoons of filling onto it.
- Top with another slice of French toast. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with whipped cream, fresh sliced berries and a little drizzle of syrup.
Mushroom and Nuts Pasta
- 100 grams mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 350 grams pasta (bow, fusilli)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 grams mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, grated and juiced
- 100 grams feta cheese, crumbled
- Dry roast the nuts in a frying pan.
- Cook the pasta with the rosemary in plenty of boiling salted water.
- Heat the oil and gently fry the mushrooms. Add the parsley, lemon zest, juice, rosemary and black pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the nuts.
- Serve in heated bowls, top with mushroom sauce and garnish with the crumbled cheese.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup corn starch
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Lightly coat a baking dish with oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, season the chicken with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Mix in the cornstarch and gently toss to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk together the 2 eggs.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan.
- Once hot, one by one, dip the chicken into the egg mixture, and then carefully place into the saucepan. Cook until just golden brown.
- Once cooked, place onto a paper towel to remove any extra oil, and then transfer to the baking dish.
- For the sweet and sour sauce, whisk together the sugar, lemon juice, ketchup, soy sauce and garlic powder. Pour this sauce over the chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 40–45 minutes, mixing around every 10 minutes or so.
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 225 grams reduced-fat cream cheese
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 packages soft ladyfingers or butter biscuits
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- In a medium bowl, mix espresso powder with 3 tablespoons boiling water until dissolved.
- Add 1½ cups cold water and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese with heavy cream and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Spread a few tablespoons of the cream-cheese mixture in the bottom of a serving dish.
- One by one, dip a third of the ladyfingers or biscuits in the espresso, then arrange at the bottom of the dish.
- Spread with a third of the cream-cheese mixture. Repeat twice with remaining ladyfingers, espresso and cream-cheese mixture.
- Dust with cocoa just before serving.